Thursday, August 30, 2012

Nutrition Alert!





According to the Los Angeles Times, "The California maker of Red Vines issued a voluntary recall of its Black Licorice Twists this week after the state’s Department of Public Health warned of high levels of lead – more than double the amount deemed healthy for children."

WHO KNEW there was an amount of food-based lead actually "deemed healthy for children"?  I'll have to check my kids' gummy vitamins to make sure they are getting their RDA.

[Image credit: LA Times]

7 comments:

  1. THANK GOD it wasn't the red one. I love those, yo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should google how much non-food (like bug & rodent parts/excrement) is allowed in processed food like CHOCOLATE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my, I'm not even tempted. Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Food-based lead" is a interesting new addition to my vocabulary. Luckily, most kids seem to hate black licorice anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So THIS is why my daughters are so short. I should have been feeding them more paint chips when they were younger. Darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never actually seen a child EAT black licorice, so I guess they need to check the lead level against that 'deemed healthy for adults' :)

    ReplyDelete